Home

 

Wilmington Youth Soccer Association

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Sunday, February 11, 2018

4th of July Building, Wilmington, MA. 01887

 

 

 

Directors Present: Tom Card, Francesca Driscoll, Rich Engvaldsen, Nick Howie, Mike King, Billy Long, Fernando Marinho, Darwin Molina, Manny Mulas, Dave O’Mahony, Chris Parr, Rich Pereira, Jessica Scanlon, Nate Tarin, Dave Zaya; Paul Malvone (arrives 6:06); Chris Malley (arrives 6:11); Dave Oatis (arrives at 6:58)

 

Directors Absent: Sean Broussard

 

Guests: John Bavota

===============================================================

 

Meeting called to order at 6:03 by Rich Pereira

 

President Opening Remarks:

Greetings – 7 weeks to the season opens.

Field Update: We have Yentile all-day Saturday and weekdays from 4-5:30;

Rich is trying to secure March gym space in the public schools for preseason training;

Outline of the agenda for the second meeting of the year.

Secretary:

Motion: To accept the January 2018 Meeting Minutes as amended by David O’, 2nd by Manny. Motion passes by a vote of 15-0-1.

 

VP of Development

Proposed Contract for DOC to be discussed in Executive Session;

James accepted ADOC contract (waiting on legal work to be completed);

Tom C. proposes a PCD of Tom Genthner, John Fitzler, Rob Elliot, himself, Mike King, and Nick Howie and John Bavota. Motion by Tom C. 2nd by Manny. Motion passes 16-0-1

 

Treasurer

 

Motion: To accept January 2018 financials as amended by Dave Zaya, 2nd by Dave O’, 16-0-1 Motion passes;

Discussion surrounding financials/budget in new business.

 

VP of Administration

Concussion training: There are still a hand full of coaches that need to get the certificate - Manny will send out another email and follow up with travel so they can ensure compliance;

Girls Night Out: Starting process of scheduling GNO, looking at possible dates in April, will wait and hear from Sue Hendee and Caryn Goulet to see what works and have a date next meeting; it is usually a Sunday, and we will need a permit for the gym space; we will seek out college team representation;

Scholarship Sub Committee: Looking for a couple of BOD volunteers and 1 or 2 non-BOD volunteers to approve at March meeting or before (applications will be publicized through social media and emailed to WHS AD).

Travel

Placement meeting held this past Tuesday, February 6, 2018 (with no issues for any Wilmington teams);

Middlesex will be putting together schedule in coming weeks, getting permit updates;

New players are being added as space is available (and we have had a number of 3rd and 4th grade boys try to sign up, but rosters are full);

We have moved members signed up for 3-5 to travel teams when requested at no additional cost;

Working on changes to placement/PPE process;

TSC coming together, has BOD representation; need non-BOD volunteers;

Will coordinate meeting with Middlesex and Intown.

 

Registration

Sean is working with Travel to ensure that any coaches needing CORI checks/updates are addressed prior to the start of the season.

 

Fundraising

Discussion of June 2018 cornhole/dance fundraiser, looking for June 1st/2nd (Elks or KofC – depending upon our space needs/availability);

Postponed fundraiser at 99 Restaurant for in-season promotion;

Calendar fundraiser proposed; need to solicit donations; decide on prizes; Rich, Fran, and Jessica will reach out to donors.

 

 

Travel Refs

Update on current travel referee numbers/status; need to work with them, mentor them, and empower them a little bit more;

Darwin outlined plan for future training, including training manual; reached out to Mass Referee program; will need training (for newer referees 1 to 5 years); will make himself available for a couple of mandatory WYSA training sessions; the is a state-wide/nation-wide issue; need on-field training (e.g., new referees can have hands-on experience with 3&4 grader pick-up games);

Discussion surrounding Grassroots Referee Program; applies to Intown program; carefully mentored with referees going in and out of the game.

 

Intown & Intown Refs

Spring 2018 late fee starts February 15th

As of February 10th, have 307 players and 39 coaches (Boys and Girls Kinders currently trending high);

2 - 3-5 grade girls to be placed by travel; 2 asked for refund;

Intown Inventory has been completed and shared with Merchandise;

Need to order PreK/Kinder balls and Intown Uniforms;

Pre-K starts one week later;

Spring Intown Coaches meeting - TBD (looking at week of March 26th);

Tom and Fran discussed sending a brochure through the schools electronic distribution list.

Fields & Buildings

No updates

 

Merchandise

Billy will order uniforms by March 1, 2018;

Waiting on numbers and sizes;

Rich and Billy will meet; order coaches shirts;

Need Kinder soccer balls.

 

Concessions

Revenues slow due to weather;

With Yentile all-day – perhaps we can have concessions there; problems includes carry-in, carry-out policy and not being able to leave food there.

 

 

Director of Coaching

Winter clinics currently has 120 players signed up (just finished session one):

PK/Kinder – 23 players

1st/2nd Grade Girls – 30 players

1st/2nd Grade Boys – 24 players

3rd/4th COED – 42 players

Mass Youth Soccer Workshop: feedback and recommendation for new coaches to attend; good for networking; reinforcing Mass Youth Coaching philosophy;

AP Sports: potential new space for turf and futsal opportunities; not a lot of availability; willing to work with us; hourly rate is more expensive than B&G Club and public schools

Mass Youth 4v4 Diploma: Tentative 4/15 date 10:00 to 2:30; Pre-K, Kinder, 1st grade coaches – looking at Billerica Boys and Girls Club;

Seeking permits for April/Summer Clinics; John will send out information about the April clinic this week.

 

New Business

Eagle Scout Project: We are waiting for DPW and the scouts to respond; we need a maintenance plan (does not need to be elaborate); Manny will follow up with the BSA contact.

Discussion: Rich noted we need to increase provisions for travel coach shirts, pre-K pinnies, new cones, Board jackets, Patches (need inventory) and MTOC awards: Motion: To accept 2018 Budget (as amended) by Dave Zaya, 2nd by Fernando Marinho, 18-0-0 Motion passes;

Dual Grade Discussion: In the midst of planning the Dual Grade survey questions, it became clear that most of current Board believed the survey was unnecessary; there was little support for moving forward with the Dual Grade changes at the U10 and U12 level and the following motion to rescind the change was taken:

MOTION: To rescind the Fall 2016 vote changing WYSA’s travel policy (which would have mandated Dual Age teams at the 3&4 and 5&6 and 7&8 grade levels) and return to the previous policy in existence before that Fall 2016 vote (which we currently use). Motion by Dave O’ 2nd by Nick Howie, 18-0-0 Motion passes.

Next Meeting: March 11th, 2018

 

 

Executive Session

[REDACTED]

 

Motion to adjurn by Manny, 2nd by Chris, 18-0-0 Motion Passes.

 

Leave the meeting at 7:59

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

David O’Mahony

Secretary