Wilmington Youth Soccer Association

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Sunday, January 7, 2018

4th of July Building, Wilmington, MA. 01887




Directors Present:  Sean Broussard, Tom Card, Francesca Driscoll, Rich Engvaldsen, Nick Howie, Mike King, Billy Long, Chris Malley (arrived at 6:38), Paul Malvone, Darwin Molina, Manny Mulas, Dave Oatis, Dave O’Mahony, Rich Pereira, Nate Tarin, Dave Zaya


Directors Absent: Fernando Marinho, Chris Parr, Jessica Scanlon


Guests: John Bavota



  1. Meeting called to order at 6:06 by Rich Pereira


  1. President Opening Remarks:
    1. Greetings and outline of the agenda for the first meeting of the year;
    2. Happy New Year!
  2. Secretary:
    1. Motion: To accept the December 2017 Meeting Minutes as presented by David O’, 2nd by Manny. Motion passes by a vote of 12-0-3.


  1. VP of Development
    1. Update and discussion regarding proposed 3-year contract offered to Assistant Director of Coaching candidate James Magill (ADOC);
    2. Motion: By Tom to offer the ADOC the contract, as amended, 2nd by Dave Z. Motion passes by a vote of 13-0-2.


  1. Treasurer
    1. Motion: To accept November and December financials as presented by Dave Z., 2nd by Dave O’.  Motion passes by a vote of 14-0-1.
    2. Dave Z. will schedule meetings with individual Board members to discuss their areas of the budget ahead of our next Board Meeting.


  1. VP of Administration
    1. Manny will follow up this week with outgoing VPADMIN Dave Foresyth and he will contact the coaches that need to recertify (which is thought to be about 20% of the coaches).
  2. Travel
    1. All rosters have been submitted to Middlesex (including the High School rosters) and all placement requests have been made with the placement meeting to take place in February;
    2. Travel has reached out to prospective Travel Subcommittee members and recommends a 9-member panel;
    3. 3rd grade player movement effectuated via email vote;
    4. Nick alerted the Board as to a potential future fee waiver motion;
    5. Discussion surrounding dual grade team structure (see new business).


  1. Fundraising
    1. No updates


  1. Travel Refs
    1. Darwin reached out to Intown referees eligible for travel referee certification in 2018 with 2 potential new referees (plus a Board member who is interested in certification);
    2. Alerted current referees in need of re-certification;
    3. Pursuing mentoring program and on-field training with referees.


  1. Intown & Intown Refs
    1. Enrolment now open and the late fee will kick in on February 1st;
    2. Intown inventory has been completed and shared with Merchandise;
    3. As of January 6th, we have 151 players and 23 coaches (with the continuing struggle to sign up coaches in a timely fashion);
    4. Mike is reviewing the resumption of the Grade 3-5 program (interest being very low) and will work with DOC and get feedback from parents;
    5. Website needs 2018 season information;
    6. Program will need to keep in mind 1st Communion conflicts.
  2. Fields & Buildings
    1. Dave Oatis proposed changing the locks with agreement all around;
    2. Snow is making it difficult to enter the shack.


  1. Merchandise
    1. Billy organized the distribution of pictures in December (which was the second opportunity for parents to get their pictures after the season ended);
    2. We will need to order the U16 and U18 team jerseys when the information is forwarded from the coaches.


  1. Concessions
    1. No updates (except everything is well frigerated).


  1. Director of Coaching
    1. Futsal: Winter clinics start 1/7/2018 with 81 players currently signed up for both session.  Coach John and Coach Leah off to a great start.  John is looking to purchase more weighted nets, called bow nets, which are a little bit more expensive than Pugg nets, but are better suited to the indoor game.  Session One currently has:
      1. PK/Kinder – 13 players
      2. 1st/2nd Grade Girls – 14 players
      3. 1st/2nd Grade Boys – 12 players
      4. 3rd/4th COED – 21 players;
    2. ADOC: With the addition of an ADOC, WYSA will offer more PDPs in the Spring (with new offerings for older players), more Coaching assistance, and increased curriculum development; WYSA needs to evaluate what need, if any, there is for outside coaching;
    3. Physical Training: Crossfit Ares (formerly Catz) are willing to open up one or two time slots for us during the week; John is scheduled to have a follow-up phone conversation this week. Tentative start in late January, early February; details regarding the time, expensive, and any benefit to our program need to finalized. Discussion regarding WYSA keeping physical training in-house; Chelmsford opportunity.
    4. MYS TSL: Coach John will follow up with MYS Town Select League (TSL) Program Manager Maureen LaRoche regarding Spring 2018 exhibitions, which could revive the Wildcat FC program;
    5. MYS Workshop: Mass Youth Workshop is scheduled for 1/27/2018.  This should be a good networking opportunity and a chance to get certifications;


  1. New Business
    1. Eagle Scout Donation: Local scouts want to put up a kickback wall at the Shawsheen fields.  This donation has to be approved by the school committee; exact location TBD; details to follow.
    2. Survey: Discussion surrounding dual age program survey, with extensive talk about the history of issue and whether or not the status quo should be maintained; Rich will send out a revised survey, which will be distributed to the membership prior to the season, seeking their input on the dual age question with the current Board voting on the issue after obtaining the input of the membership.


  1. Executive Session


  1. Motion: To adjourn by Manny, 2nd by Dave O’. Motion passes 16-0-0.  Leave the meeting at 7:32


Respectfully submitted,


David O’Mahony